Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Region

So the moment I chose isn't one that really impacted my life, but more so just one that is very interesting compared to the rest of my ventures. I pole vaulted on the track team my junior and senior and I went to the regional meet both years. The region meet determines who goes to the state meet. I went to state both years. This camera eye will be based off of my senior year at region.


where is cynthiana    why would a region track meet be here  empty farmland 
will this wind affect my vaulting    yeah  oh well
it is way to early for this  I just want to sleep no stay focused it's going to be a long day  run run run run run run jump plant twist  okay just do that again    don't think just do  don't think just do  it's that easy right   why does my dad yell so loud   repitition  yeah that was a good vault just keep doing that   no worries    don't think just do    
look for a friendly face     take your mind off of this   just don't worry  oh hey there
less people are going now   run run run run plant jump twist   cleared
how have I  lasted this long in the competition  
look at my teammates run their events  4x100 4x200   that's pride 
so it's just me and that other guy  no pressure I've done this before   breath inhale exhale GO run run run run run plant jump twist 
you'd never think that you have coherent thoughts in midair while falling for that split second  I was freaking out  my arm had touch the standard  in my aerial stupor i was worrying about that bar falling and being eliminated         It didn't    I remained
 comfort had returned

as soon as I hit that mat i turned around to see that bar shake   but not fall   needless to say I was feeling good  my father was creating such a racket in the crowd it was the only thing I heard  exhilaration

It wasn't the end though  both myself and the other competitor had missed the next height   received second in the competition shake the victors hand  still proud  still exhilaration  I went to state ranked fourth   pride was surging   it was going to be a good week

2 comments:

  1. An athletic accomplishment can be the most important moment in a person's life. I really like how your Camera Eye captures the nervousness of competing under pressure, with friends and family watching, always one step away from failure (more often than success!). The image of your dad really stuck with me, and simply rings true, since even in that moment he is at once your comforting "friendly face" and the source of an embarrassing "racket."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this Camera Eye because I ran track in high school as well and I could really relate to what you were going through. I remember how nervous I would get before a meet and you really expressed this well.

    ReplyDelete