Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Politics in 1940


Description: mage, Source: digital file from intermediary roll film

POLITICS IN 1940

This picture of the campaign signs really stands out to me considering what a big roll politics were playing in this time period. This photo was taken in Omaha, Nebraska when the whole country was beginning to recover from the great depression and gearing the end of WW1. There is a middle class house in the background that I think is showing how communities are starting to rebuild. Politics are on profession that will always be around. So for those people in offices and with big support groups it was easy to keep a steady income to support their families. I think this picture is more positive than negative because it is showing community, teamwork and money. The photographer’s focus was not capturing the good things or the bad things. It was to document America exactly as he saw it. I love this picture because it gives me a really good idea of how the community around it was with just showing a single house. The other pictures I viewed somehow didn’t look as real to me and if they did they seemed filled with negative attitudes. Another thing I found with this project is that every photograph or group of photographs has a story. So thinking about a story for this one I began to think about the family who might live here. I would assume a normal family who has an average life in America in the late 1930’s. This picture was important to our theme of the rise of labor after the great depression. So basically not only does it have the political side of things with all of the jobs the government has to offer but it also has the middle class house with the signs in their yard that seem to have a steady living.

3 comments:

  1. I think Kayla makes some interesting points in this post. I think it's important to note that this house "seems real" because it feels as though there is no judgment attached to it by the photographer. This is really highlighted by your discussion of the negative attitudes you found in the other photographs. Without the clear indication of how the photographer feels infiltrating the photograph, do we take it as a projection of "reality"? Is this so today? This idea raises a lot of wonderful questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know we talked about this in class during our group project but I was wondering if we ever found out who had won that election?

      Delete
    2. Which election are you talking about Danielle?

      Delete