Monday, April 1, 2013

Pine Ridge

I thought that the podcast of the Lakota Indians was very interesting. It had a lot of information that I had never heard before. I really could not believe how much sacrifice these Native Americans really went through. I'm not sure what I think about them killing 5 settlers there and I definitely think that someone needed to be held responsible. It was sad to learn what the settlers had done to them however. It was cruel and unusual punishment to hold all of the Native Americans responsible and that is shameful to what we stand for in the United States. Also, holding over 300 of them on trial and then to be hung was ridiculous. Lincoln did the right thing by narrowing down the list by a great deal but as I said before someone did have to be held responsible. I also think it was wrong to ban them from the state completely but looking back now I think if they would of stayed there they would of faced more and more hardships. One thing that really made me cringe was the settlers taking baby's out of Native American women's hands and throwing them down to kill them. This is so awful and cruel for any human being to do that at that time I felt embarrassed to call myself an American.

3 comments:

  1. I like that you pointed out the actions of the white man taking the Native Americans' children. I think out of all the things a person could do that could possibly be the most devastating. You here about other horrendous events, but we never seem to hear about things such as this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you pointed out both sides of the event. You didn't single in on one position and side with it, you talked about both sides and stated your opinion on it and I thought that was very clever. I also like how you added some emotion to your reflection. You stated your feelings on specific details and that really added to your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kayla, like your groupmates, I think you draw our attention to something very important here. It's always important to see both sides of the story. While our ancestor's actions are not necessarily justified, its important to take them into account. Often, we can actually strengthen our arguments by addressing them both--it shows that our opinions are informed and we are considering all the evidence. It doesn't allow EITHER side of history to be forgotten, which might be something important to consider in light of the upcoming presentations.

    ReplyDelete