Monday, April 1, 2013

"Little War on the Prairie"

The podcast of the Lakota Indians was very compelling in my eyes. I have never heard of this event and I am glad my eyes have been opened to it because now I have learned about something that is very significant and important to so many and it makes me feel more knowledgeable and understanding. By studying the Pine Ridge I have gained insight for this story in many ways. Especially in Native American culture in general. Unfortunately I did not learn enough about Native Americans in my previous school years and that was something that I always had unanswered questions about. By studying the Pine Ridge I learned many traditions and ways of life practiced by the Native Americans and this helped me while listening to this podcast. Some similar aspects I noticed was their overall emotion towards events that involved their people in a negative way. I feel as if it really effected them, past or present. They both seemed to be very passionate about their people and what they go through. A difference that really stood out to me was the overall time period. Although this was an obvious difference, it was something that really stood out to me. The present day Pine Ridge people just seemed to have a different look/way about them. There are so many things I can take out of listening to this podcast and incorporate into our group "Living Newspaper" project. For example, all the different aspects of the Pine Ridge and Lakota people is something we could use in our project and we could use several examples/stories to provide evidence and insight.

2 comments:

  1. From this, thing that really stood out was how you pointed out the appearance of the people in Pine Ridge. Before this class I learned very little about them, but I understood that they lived in hard times. I didn't really see it until I saw those pictures and listening to that podcast. I too never heard of this event before and it was certainly eye opening and left me feeling weird about being a "White Man". The thought of the possibility that Native Americans could discriminate me because of what other caucasians did is disheartening to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also did not learn very much in my previous school years and was definitely unaware of all of the horror that the Native Americans faced. There are extreme differences in the past and present Native Americans and I agree that one of the big ones is appearance. I think another one is their overall traditions and culture has sort of faded away over the years. I don't think that it has just gone away because the Native Americans will always have their pride but I think in some sense it has changed a lot.

    ReplyDelete