Monday, March 4, 2013
Living News Project
For the Living Newspaper Project, I think it would be interesting to take a focus on Native Americans, more specifically in the 1930s. I feel like we've touched on African Americans and Whites, but we have yet to discuss much about the Native American people during the Great Depression Era. Did they experienced what other groups of people experienced? Did the fact that they were on their own reservations prevent them from going through trials of the Great Depression? For those who no longer lived on reservations, what was life like at the time? How were they treated during this time overall? I feel that there are many questions to be answered here. Throughout my education and discussion of the Great Depression Era, I have encountered very little information on this group of people and that is why I believe it would be an interesting topic. Either that or the lifestyle of the Native Americans now. I also hear very little about their lives now. Anything that looks in depth in the lives of Native Americans will be a step back and a bit refreshing than just the norm.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Adam, I think the idea of looking into Native Americans is great. We're going to get there in the class after Spring Break, which means if your group should choose to tackle this as a topic, you'll be able to utilize some of what we talk about as a class. It could even help to tailor your presentation to your audience, as you'll have insider access to the way that your classmates think about this issue already.
ReplyDeleteI would suggest doing some preliminary research to find out some of the interesting events occurring around Native Americans and narrowing down a time period with what events interest you most. I don't know specifically what was happening with them as a group during the Great Depression, but I know their removal from their lands was largely before that. The Trail of Tears and Wounded Knee are particularly interesting moments to take a look at if you're interested in the violence against the tribes. If you wanted to appeal to the suggestion of education by your groupmate, you might want to take a look at Indian Boarding Schools. You could look at how they were perceived as citizens under the law and what rights they did or did not have at certain points. Take a look around and see what you find!
I really like this idea. I think it is very original and that a lot of people could relate to it. Most people don't generally think of Native Americans being part of America's history but they deal with a great deal of it and have been around since before the discovery of The New World.
ReplyDeleteI think this is a great idea! I never really thought about it before but you're right, we haven't touched on this subject much at all. I agree that it would be something interesting to base our project on. Doing the research for this topic could in turn be very rewarding. Great idea!
ReplyDelete